Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Recipes Galore!

Hey everyone!

As promised, and to my surprise, I have the time to sit down and actually share all of the meals that I've had made lately!

It's crazy to me that I've actually have time because of how much I have done today. As I mentioned earlier today, I replaced the sprinkler head, which I still need to see if it works...I watered the yard, but I got so overwhelmed with cleaning the garage, that I forgot to go out and see if the new head was working...I don't think that it is, so I will have to have Mike take a look at it later. So, aside from the sprinkler replacement and cleaning the garage, (which needed it desperately!), I was able to meet up with my friend Brandi and I got a few things that was much needed in the house. I got gas, and when I got home, I put up the new black out curtains in the master bedroom to help Mike when he is working evenings, like this week, as well as allow him to sleep in when he is tired and needs it! They look pretty good, if I do say so myself! Once they were put up, I cleaned the house so it looks liveable since the birthday bash that I threw on Saturday, and pulled some weeds. That brings us to now! I'm pretty happy with how today has gone.

So, onto the recipes!


So this one was made by Mike. He made me breakfast one morning this last week, and I must say, that it's nice to have someone who likes to cook and prepare meals for me just as much as I do for him. I'm not a huge breakfast person, but I am learning to enjoy them...especially when they are made for me! =P

Here's the recipe: Breakfast

Cook bacon until prepared to taste. Drain grease. Take approximately 4 eggs, cheese, choice of spices and veggies, mix to make scrambled egg mix. Put into the same skillet that was used for the bacon, and cook until eggs are complete. Serve with toast if so desired.





My family has always made this version of spaghetti, because the recipe has been handed down for generations, and it's yummy. But that doesn't stop people from changing the original and making it better, or worse, depending on who makes it! =P  I prefer the original...and the leftovers are great! If you don't like leftovers,  just put the remains of what you don't eat into a container and freeze it for next time! It still tastes great if frozen for another time.

Here's the recipe: Spaghetti

1 pound hot sausage
1 pound hamburger
basil
oregano
garlic powder
olives (pre-cut is better)
green pepper (cut into bite size pieces)
onion (cut into bite size pieces)
2 cans of crushed tomatoes
1 can tomatoe paste
1 can tomato sauce
cheddar/american cheese pieces (I use about 7-9 thin slices if using a brick)
1 small can of mushroom pieces

Brown meat, onion and green pepper. Drain grease. Add everything else. Stir and let boil on low for about 30 minutes. Make noodles and serve.  *Note: For spices, just add for taste, some like it with more garlic, others don't.




I stumbled upon this stew online, and thought that Mike would absolutely love it! And I was right! It's really good, and you can't taste the alcohol that is in it! The best part is that the next day's servings taste even better because the flavors had a long chance to mix together!

Here's the recipe: Guinness Stew

2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
kosher salt, according to preference
freshly cracked pepper, according to preference
1 large Vidalia onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups beef stock
1/2 cup red wine
2 tablespoons A1 Steak Sauce
1 (11.2-ounce) bottle Guinness Stout
4-5 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley


1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
2. Place flour in a medium bowl. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Dredge beef in flour. 3. Add half of the beef to the pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon. Repeat procedure with remaining beef, adding more oil to the pan if necessary.
2. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add in garlic, stir for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in stock, wine, A1 and beer, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen browned bits.
3. Return meat to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover, add carrots and potatoes, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45-60 minutes, or until meat and vegetables are fork tender. Season to taste




Here is another great soup! Mike made this, while I was busy making dessert. It's pretty easy to make too! This is a great appetizer or main meal!

Here's the recipe: Leek, Asparagus, and Herb Soup


 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 medium leeks, trimmed, washed, and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound potatoes, scrubbed and diced (about ten cups)
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2/3 cups snow peas, or sugar snap peas, stemmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or dried dill (4 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chervil or parsley
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt for garnish (optional)

Heat oil in large saucepan over meduim low heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for one minute.

Add potatoes and broth, bring to simmer over medium high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.

Increase heat to medium high and stir in asparagus and peas, simmer, covered, stirring 2 or 3 times until just tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in 1 tablespoon chives, parsley, dill and chopped chervil or more parsley.

Transfer soup to a blender or cuisenart and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pan. Add milk and bring to just below a simmer, stirring over medium heat. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls.

Garnish each with a dollop of yogurt, if so desired, a sprinkle of remaining chives or parsley.



While Mike was working on the soup, mentioned above, I was busy making this yummy dessert! It's pretty simple, and you will need a jelly roll pan. I ended up buying a pan with the same dimensions, but it wasn't the same, therefore, my roll broke on me as I started to roll it up...so beware, if you do the same!

Here's the recipe: Chocolate Roll

1/3 cup cake flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs seperated
1 cup sugar (divided)
confectioners' sugar
8 ounces thawed whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350*. Line a 15-x10 inch jelly roll pan with waxed paper. Grease and flour lined pan. Tap out excess flour.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking soda and powder, and salt. Mix well. In a seperate bowl, using an electric mixer, set on medium speed, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy.

In a small bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites on high until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff, but not dry, peak forms.

Fold 1/3 beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Alternatively fold in remaining whites and flour mixtures. Pour batter in pan, smooth top. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. About 15 minutes.

Dust a clean cloth with remaining sugar. Turn cake out onto prepared cloth; remove wax paper. Trim the cake's edges.

Starting with a long side, tightly roll up cake with cloth. Transfer cake seamside down to a wire rack to cool.

Unroll cake, remove cloth. Spread whipped cream over cake to within a half inch from edges. Re-roll cake, place seam side down on a plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

*Note: You can mix some mini choco chips into the filling before rolling for an added chocolate boost. For easier slicing, place the cake in the freezer for 20 minutes before serving.


Like I said, I have been busy! Now you seen with what! I hope you enjoy these meals, as much as we have!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment