Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Recipe: Hearty Split Pea Soup


Mike had told me once that he was a huge fan of split pea soup. As usual, I ran out of ideas for a menu, and decided that I would surprise him by making this meal. It's super easy, and it goes in the crock pot! Bonus!


16 ounces dried split peas
2 cups (or more) fully cooked lean ham, diced
1 cup diced carrots
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
5 cups boiling water (I don't use boiling, I just use hot tap water...it's in the crock pot, right?)
1 cup milk

In a slow cooker, layer the first nine ingredients in order listed (do no stir). Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk. Discard bay leaves before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment