Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Recipe: Brazilian Cheese Bread (Gluten Free!)


There is a restaurant in Colorado Springs that Mike and I have eaten at several times. It's called Tucanos. It's a Brazilian inspired place and the food is really good! You end up getting stuff before your body realizes that it's full, so it's a dangerous place to eat!
One of the things that we always grab a bunch of is their cheese bread. They are small like a mini muffin and so warm and gooey!
When I saw a recipe on Pinterest (I know, another recipe from there...), I jumped all over it. And bonus, it's a gluten free recipe!
At the restaurant, my mom couldn't have these little bread bites because they were not gluten free, but this recipe is and it's pretty good!
I wrote all of the ingredients down and went shopping. Of course, the one thing that was essential was the Tapioca Flour. Try finding something like that in a small town in the middle of nowhere! Not happening! So, I got online on Amazon and found a really great deal! A case of four, with Prime shipping (meaning free!) sent to me in two days for a little under $11...awesome!
I ordered the case, and when they arrived, I set to work.
The first batch, I followed to the letter of the recipe. It was good, but it was lacking something. A few days later, I made them again, only this time I added just a little garlic powder and on a couple, I sprinkled a touch of cayenne powder. They were better than the first, though I still need to add just a little more garlic and possibly cayenne as what I had added was subtle and somewhat of an after flavor, but still really good. Mike discovered that if you add some butter on them, it helps a lot!
This recipe makes 24 mini muffins per batch, and best eaten warm. So, when you have leftovers, just pop them into the microwave for about 5 seconds each.
The best part about the recipe is this...it took me about 5 minutes to whip up in the blender (That's not a typo...you do mix it in the blender) and 16 minutes to bake...easy peasy.

Ingredients:

1 egg, room temperature
1/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cup tapioca flour (Order online or grab it at a local health food store)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
(add some garlic and cayenne for more flavor, to taste)

Preheat oven to 400*. Grease a mini muffin pan and set aside.
Mix all ingredients together in a blender. Again, not a typo.
You may need to scrape the edges of the blender to get the flour off. Once it's mixed, the batter will look watery. This is normal!
Pour batter into the mini muffin tin, about half way. They will bake and rise up, so too much and they will bake over!
Bake in oven for 15-16 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Remove from oven and let it cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment