Thursday, January 17, 2013

Recipe: Honey Biscuits (Cookies)



Once again, I found myself flipping through the Game of Thrones cookbook that I had given Mike for Christmas. I find it ironic that I would give him such a gift, as I would be the one to use it the most, however, I am not regretting it yet!
This book has so many tasty things to offer, and as I mentioned before, you can make them in the traditional medieval way or the modern way, depending on how much time you have.

I was pretty surprised by this recipe. It was simple, easy and I have to say, it will test your self control! They are so yummy, that both Mike and I had at least six the night they were made. After that night, we paced ourselves, and Mike is begging me to make more!

I will say that you will want to eat these warm. If you manage to save some for the next day, pop them into the microwave until they are warm to the touch, with no cold spots. If you try to eat them cold, they will be hard, and that's because of the honey. Just so you are aware.


Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice or mixed spice
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1/2 cup honey
1 cup raw sugar for decorating



Preheat oven to 300*.
Either line two baking sheets with parchment paper or plan to make these in batches.

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, sugar and ginger. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
Heat the honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until it is warm and runny, (or microwave for 1 minute).  Add the honey to the flour mixture and work with a wooden spoon or spatula until a soft dough forms.

Pour the raw sugar into a bowl. Roll the dough into 2 inch balls and coat them with raw sugar. Place eight balls on the prepared sheets without flattening them; leave room around the sides for spreading.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits are just cracked. Let them stand on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.

Eat biscuits right away or store them in an airtight container for up to a week.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment