Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Recipe: Honeyed Chicken

 
 
For Christmas, I got Mike a Game of Thrones cookbook. If you've read the books, you'll know what I am talking about. For those of you who haven't, you should read them! This cookbook has every recipe from the meals they had in the series. Things that were mentioned in the books are in the cookbook and they do it in the medieval style and modern, so that it's pretty simple and easy to do, and depending on how much time and how creative you want to be, depends on the style you can do.
 
The first thing that I saw that I wanted to try, was the Honeyed Chicken. I chose this one because we eat a lot of whole chicken. I have prepared it in a few different ways, and this seemed like it could be really tasty! It was.
 
 
Ingredients:
 
1 whole chicken for roasting, about 6 pounds
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
salt
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup honey
1-2 teaspoons mint, dried or freshly chopped
1/2 cup currants, raisins, dried cherries, cranberries, etc (I used cranberries)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
 
 
Preheat oven to 450*
 
Pat the chicken dry, then rub it down with the 2 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle with salt. This will make the skin crispy and delicious! Cook approximately 1 hour, or until the juices run clear (it took me about an hour and 20 minutes).
 
While your chicken is roasting, combine all the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and allow the sauce to simmer until the dried fruit plumps and the sauce reduces to half it's original volume, about 30 minutes.
 
When the chicken is done, spread half the sauce and currants (or other fruit) over the bird. Reserve the other half for gravy.
 
 
Note*: I didn't leave any for gravy. I poured all of it on the bird.
 
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment