Saturday, March 24, 2012

Recipe: Cheese Scones




When I wrote out our shopping list and menu last week, we decided to have one of our regulars, Pork roast, sauerkraut and dumplings. Mike proposed that we make 4 times the amount of dumplings, as there seems to never be enough. This is very true, though I have tripled the recipe in the past, and to no avail, we still seem to be missing plenty of dumplings! So I had an idea. I told Mike that I would make some Cheese Scones to accompany any meals that would be missing parts after a day or two, such as our dumplings. He mentioned how unhealthy they would be, but didn't say no. So, I set to work, and I was right. The scones took place of almost every missing aspect of our meals, and even our snacks! I'd say this is a huge hit in the Fahey household!

Here's the recipe: Cheese Scones

2 cups Flour
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1.5 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I used strong and I used all 2 cups)
1 Egg
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
3 tablespoons Milk

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in cheese. In another bowl, combine egg, sour cream, oil and milk. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface and gently knead 10-12 times. Gently pat out to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut with a round cookie cutter*, or use a glass's lips. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400* for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve hot with your favorite topping, such as butter, honey, or jam, or opt to use it as a great side for any meal!

*Note: For Valentine's Day, make these using a heart shaped cookie cutter!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment